Same Sex Marriage Immigration is Here

Posted September 12, 2013

I-130 petitions for formerly excluded same-sex spouses are being accepted by USCIS and adjudications proceeding, with accompanying eligibility for adjustment of status or consular processing. per SCOTUS’s recent DOMA slapdown.  The State Department is working out rules for consular issuance of immigrant visas and fiance visas abroad.  For I-130 eligibility, marriage certificates must be issued from one of the 13+ issuing states ( and domicile at filing should be within the 13+, though exceptions are reviewed for employment-based circumstances.  Conditional residence applies for those married less than two years as of date of admission as a permanent resident.  Naturalization eligibility flows three years later for couples that demonstrate bona fides.  Contact us for insight and assistance.  (415) 845-9122